Canadian Fishing Company (Canfisco) is a fully integrated seafood processing company with headquarters in Vancouver, BC. Canfisco operates the largest fleet of commercial fishing vessels in British Columbia, harvests over 110 million pounds of fish annually and exports its seafood products to 38 countries around the world. At Canfisco, we offer the opportunity to work for a well-established organization that values initiative and rewards performance.
Our Vessel Maintenance Department is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the Company’s commercial fishing vessel fleet which includes several large trawlers, seine and gillnet vessels. The department plays a key role in ensuring fishing vessels are well maintained and ready for the fishing season, minimizing breakdowns or the need for repairs during peak operational times.
The demand for our services in this area is growing and we are looking to for an Operations Assistant to join the team. Reporting to the Manager, Vessel Maintenance & Safety the primary function of this position is to support the day to day operations of the Vessel Maintenance Department by providing a wide range of services including inventory management, purchasing, shipment tracking, investigating merchandise discrepancies, communicating with vendors and other such support services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Monitor and track all inventory items to maintain accurate records.
• Maintain stock, order and receive merchandise for the department stock room.
• Coordinate replacement of electronic equipment on fishing vessels.
• Review, prepare and verify purchases orders to vendors ensuring prices and terms are accurate.
• Maintain accurate and up to date terms and conditions for all vendors.
• Investigate what/how/why materials came in incorrectly or damaged and take appropriate corrective action.
• Monitor price increases and communicate changes as necessary.
• Collect, review and process daily work logs from crew to ensure accuracy of costs allocated to projects on the go.
• Coordinate annual life raft inspections.
• Coordinate annual inspection of fire-fighting equipment.
• Minimum 2 years of purchasing and inventory management experience.
• Forklift certification with minimum two years forklift driving experience (mandatory).
• Valid Class 5 Driver's License required.
• Experience and knowledge of the commercial fishing industry is an asset
• Ability to adapt, improvise and solve problems quickly and efficiently.
• Ability to work autonomously on multiple tasks and projects, with various teams.
• Organized and efficient, with strong detail-orientation
• Proficient in using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
• Strong oral and written English communication skills.
This is a full-time, salaried position. Hours of work are 0730 - 1600 Monday to Friday. Our facility is located on the waterfront in downtown Vancouver with free employee parking and easy access to public transit.
At Canfisco, we provide stable employment, an engaging and collaborative work environment, and a competitive total compensation package.
If you possess the above noted qualifications we would like to hear from you. To apply send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all candidates for their interest and advise that only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview.