Company: Walcan Seafood Ltd.
Business information: Walcan began business in 1974 on Quadra Island as a small seasonal bait herring producer. Through the ensuing years, we expanded our customer base from regional to international and our product offerings to include commercially caught seafood products from our locale. In addition, we have developed full service custom processing services for our local aquaculture industry.
Business address: 1270 Dogwood St. Unit 30 Campbell River, BC V9W 3A4
Work Location: Walcan Road, Heriot Bay BC V0P 1H0 (Quadra Island)
Type of Employment: Full Time - Permanent
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Education: Not required
- Experience: Experience is an asset. On-the-job training will be provided.
- Must know that this is a physically demanding position, it requires to be standing for extended hours, bending, crouching, kneeling and perform repetitive tasks.
- Must be able to work in a cold/refrigerated and wet/damp environment with odors
- Must be willing to work with fish guts, blood, and unpleasant odors.
- Due to the nature of our business and to due to delicate fishing products we work with workers must be willing to work with short notice scheduling (reacting to fishing grounds opening and closing requires us to contact workers the day before and tell them whether we are or are not working that day and what time we will start at. This can vary from 745 am to 1:30 pm depending on when boats arrive at docks). No fixed end time for the shift (we work until we are done due to the product being fresh when it comes in and it must be processed immediately)
Salary: $16.50 to $18.00 hourly, 30 to 60 hours per week.
- Extended Medical benefits and Dental benefits after one year of employment. All personal protective gear (work boots, smocks, aprons, gloves, etc.) is provided.
- Transportation allowance is added to each worker’s check for each day worked ($5.00) to cover cost of ferry from Campbell River to Quadra Island. We provide van/buses to drive people from the ferry terminal on Quadra to the plant and we pick employees up along a route.
- Depending on workers performance and the number of worked hours, a salary raise can be considered.
- During Prawn Season May-June, Night shift are required (All workers are paid an additional $0.75 per hour to work night shift on prawns).
- Accommodation available at discounted rate. Transportation covered if the worker needs to relocate.
Flexibility for scheduling is required. Shifts will vary depending on the fishing season and business needs, the worker will work 6-12 hours per day, 5 days a week, with 2 days off weekly on a rotational basis. Short notice scheduling. Overtime is required. Nights and holidays may be required.
Apply by e-mail to: email@example.com
Apply by mail to: 1270 Dogwood St. Unit 30 Campbell River, BC V9W 3A4
Apply by fax: 250-914-2689