We are a commercial fishing company based out of Vancouver, BC currently looking for deck hands for our factory freezer trawler the Osprey No. 1, 58 m, 2024 gross ton freezer stern trawler built in 1998. The Osprey No. 1 catches fish that are headed, gutted and frozen on board. The fishing and factory operations work 24 hours/day and provides a scheduled shift rotation of two trips on and one trip off with trips averaging 10-14 days. The Osprey only fishes in Canadian waters off the West Coast of British Columbia.
Main Responsibilities: The deck hands are responsible for setting and hauling nets, processing, weighing and packaging fish in the factory and general cleaning. Must be willing to work a 6-hour rotation shift on board for the duration of the trip. Please be advised that this job description is intended to give a brief overview of the offered position. It is not an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities inherent in this position, or of the skills and abilities required to successfully perform this job.
• Self-sufficient, organized and showing positive leadership
• Must be able to communicate effectively with Captain, crew and Owner.
• Ability to work in a team environment
• Commitment to safety
• Strong communication and proven teamwork skills
• Have a valid Canadian Passport.
• Ability to pass the Seafarers exam/Marine Medical
• Commercial Fisher's Registration Card
• WHMIS certification
• Commercial fishing
• Trawl boat experience an asset but not required
Compensation & Benefits:
This is a permanent position with competitive wages, which will include a shared stateroom, shared bathroom with shower and laundry on site. There will be 3 hot meals provided daily along with cold meals available. There is a lounge on board that offers satellite TV along with couches and a separate reading area.